Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Simpsons Movie is Good, Real Good

Yeah, it's really good. I know, not much of a review, but I'm overwhelmed with feelings of relief. The Simpsons didn't renew my faith in television as I've always loved the tube, from Sesame Street to The Gong Show to Get Smart, but The Simpsons justified that love. Now the fools would have to listen when I argued that TV was indeed high art. It's been painful these last few years, watching the show's slow decline, but I keep watching and it's still worth it. The shows sunken from it's old glory but it's still better than most of what's out there and it still has it's golden moments. I am watching my dear friend grow old, and as sad as that may be, I wouldn't trade a minute of it (except those minutes where it feels like they cut up old episodes and re-assembled them to make a new one.)

I'd resigned myself to the inevitable, but then the movie was announced. My god, it could be a cure for old age! A cure for Death! I was ecstatic. But then I was scared. "What if it doesn't work?" I thought. "It could be the bullet that speeds The Simpsons to it's demise." And so I've waited, anxiously, excitedly, then anxiously again. When at last the premiers were announced I called my friend who manages a theater (thanks for trying Sid at The Crest), I called my friend who has press credentials (thanks Robert at www.RetroCrush.com) and after threatening their lives and promising them sexual favors (or promising them a complete lack thereof) I found myself on the list. I would see The Simpsons the night before it's opening. It would, for better or worse, be over at last.

And it was good. It was really good. I don't want to ruin a single one of the gags that are hurled at the audience at breakneck speeds, so that's all you get; it's good, even when compared to the show, and you should go see it, and who knows, it may just breath new life into the series which has indeed bounced back before.

No comments: